Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Melting Away

As always, I resolved to lose some weight at the beginning of the year and have had little to no success at this point. Most of it was due to my lack of motivation and discipline and a variety of half-hearted excuses.
Like a switch being thrown, I decided to finally get my act together a little at a time. About three months ago I took the first step by cutting out soda, including energy drinks. I was buying them in the morning as an energy crutch, but the only thing getting a boost was the vending machine owner's bank account. I'm pleased to report I've only had a small sip of my wife's cream soda and am still going strong.
Next was something more drastic and much more challenging. I work maybe twenty steps from a wonderful bakery and cafe and would visit almost daily for a cookie, some cake or other sweet delight. Once again it served me no benefit, only shrunk my wallet and expanded my waistline. It's been a month now since I said bye bye to those lovely confections without a relapse but still struggle with other unhealthy foods.
In comes my most recent and daunting challenge yet: to stop eating junk food altogether. Not that my wife and I are drive-thru jockeys or deep-fry aficionados, we just enjoy an occasional pizza or grab a burger because we come home from work late and exhausted and really don't feel like cooking. I do have a sweet tooth and usually find myself with something sugary but empty of vital nutrients.
Along with eating the right things is portion control. Most men struggle with that, especially growing up in an era that reinforced this notion by parents echoing the "clean your plate before you leave the table" mantra.
The final facet of my plan is to gradually introduce more physical activity into my daily routine. Last week I attempted to use the elliptical treadmill for 20 minutes and had to stop after 15. My legs were so sore I couldn't walk or sit properly for several days, but it taught me some valuable lessons: I need to stretch before attempting anything like that again and pay attention to the signals my body is sending me. Nothing shatters your masculine image, both self and what others perceive of you, like wincing with every step.
"That's all well and great, but talk is cheap." you say. Well, I've devised a way to make myself accountable. First is to track my progress on a weekly basis. Not only will I be recording how much weight I lose and the inches that drop off, but a simplified record of my food. Second, I'll be posting my results here with pictures to prove that if I can do it, anyone can.
My wife couldn't be more supportive and is starting to make the same changes for herself. So stay tuned as I begin this journey, because it's going to be a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment