Monday, May 10, 2010

Catching Up

I know it's been a few weeks since my last post, but things have been hectic lately. The move back into my parents' house went well; my wife and I are still trying to organize and unpack all the things we need into a small bedroom, one cupboard in the kitchen and a small shelf in the garage. This has been not only a logistical challenge but a battle of will. Juggling work, spending time with my wonderfully patient wife, some semblance of a social life and church is difficult enough. Trying to find time and energy to unpack and organize has been a daunting task.
I have, however, managed to start taking better control of my health. Two or so months ago I resolved to stop drinking soda. I was using it as a crutch to boost my energy. The only boost was going to the vending machine company's wallet, so I stopped cold turkey. I miss the cold, refreshing taste of Mountain Dew from time to time, but overall have done well without it.
Next and far more challenging was to stop frequenting the bakery I work near for pastries and desserts. Delicious, yes. But expensive and loaded with calories, a double hit I do not need. Axing junk food entirely is my next tactic as well as adding some low-impact exercise and vitamins to accelerate my results. Portion control is also part of the plan and finding the right foods to fill me up on the first, smaller serving.
Mother's Day weekend was awesome. Saturday I spent most of the day outdoors photographing a friend's birthday party in 65 degree sunshine at a lakeside park. 5 rolls of film were used and the weather continued Sunday, where I got up extra early to make buttermilk waffles with strawberry sauce from scratch and then go to church. For dinner we had most of my wifes' side of the family over and my youngest sister-in-law and I made spaghetti with pomodoro sauce; my wife made a salad and dessert was provided by another sister-in-law. Entertainment consisted of my devastatingly adorable 18 month-old nephew.
That pretty much sums it all up. My small side photography business is finally getting some momentum and soon I'll have enough saved for my dream camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment