Thursday, March 4, 2010

Another year gone?

Generally I turn philosophical this time of year because my birthday falls on the 22nd of this month. I reflect on how quickly another year of life has come and gone and how much progress I've made in the last year as well as life in general. This year is no different except now I post everything online.
So this time last year I was prepping to get married, enjoying the waning days of bachelorhood and despite a few minor things enjoying a fairly comfortable routine. I was also trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life and mulled over several options including studying music to compose for movie scores, acting, joining the military and being a professional writer.
I really had only a small grasp how difficult married life would actually be and suddenly found myself in a trial by fire. There was no lovey-dovey dream honeymoon phase; I was instantly forced to take a hard look at myself and many of my bad habits that put a strain on our relationship that were magnified as soon as my wife moved in. While those have improved over time and I've resolved to correct many of my past mistakes I still have a long ways to go.
My wife and I had initially decided to wait a year to decide to have children but that quickly changed as many of her friends and were getting pregnant or had young children. I'm still a bit hesitant because of our financial situation but at the same time would love to have a child in our home. We are continually amazed by our adorable nephew, now about 18 months. Watching him grow and develop a personality has been a joy and wonder. I understand that raising a child is not all smiles and sunshine. Challenges will arise and I will be tested beyond anything I have yet dealt with. But I feel the joy of bringing someone into the world to learn and grow and become a faithful follower of Jesus Christ is worth whatever obstacles stand in my way.
Another thing I've tried to work on is letting go of the pain of the past and embracing the lessons it offers. Holding grudges does nothing but turn you into a bitter, cynical person and Jesus clearly states that those who do not forgive have the greater sin upon their heads. That doesn't make me a doormat but it also allows me much more freedom from anger and pain for something that may or may not have been intentional. Along with that has been learning to worry only about the things I can control and leaving everything else up to Heavenly Father. If I do what is right and keep my shoulder to the wheel the rest will work itself out.
One thing I know I still struggle with is taking good care of my body. I eat horribly and don't get enough exercise. The will to do better is there, but I lack commitment and discipline.
I guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment