Monday, March 8, 2010

We bought a car!

Friday a friend of mine posted online that she was selling her car. Being without one, my interest was immediately piqued and I made an inquiry but was a bit skeptical about the condition considering the low price. I spoke to my wife and we agreed to go look at it and take it for a test drive.
Saturday morning I got the impression that we really needed to act on this offer, so I tried to instill a sense of urgency in my wife. After speaking with my friend we discovered there was some competition. So we ran to the bank (quite literally) and withdrew the amount plus some extra in case we had a mechanic look at it, with only a few minutes until the bank was due to close!
Upon arriving at the residence where the car was stored we were pleasantly surprised to see the 1999 silver Dodge Neon Sport in excellent condition. The exterior was nearly flawless except for a dusting of pollen and a few small scratches and some tiny rust spots. Inside was equally impressive; the upholstery was dated but free of defects and was recently detailed.
During the test drive we noticed it only had 147,000 miles and pushed it to 40mph without any problem. With only 4 cylinders it didn't get there right away but that's fine with us. Fuel economy will be much improved over the gas-guzzling Beast.
My wife and I felt great immediately after the test drive and decided to purchase it for the asking price, a good $500 below Blue Book value. It was our first major purchase as a couple and love the way it sips fuel, but we're mostly grateful just to have something to drive. Once it gets an alignment, oil change, new tires and brakes I'm sure it'll drive like brand new!

No comments:

Post a Comment