Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A listen to The Girl In The Other Room

About a week ago I found myself with a Wal-Mart gift card and decided to spend it on an album, which is a rare treat for me. A debate with myself ensued over which to purchase before I finally decided on Diana Krall's The Girl In The Other Room. I've been a fan of her music for quite some time now but this is my first time purchasing something comprising of just her work. It was waiting for me when I got home last night and I excitedly tore away the packaging and put it in the cd player like an excited kid at Christmas.
I was immediately taken by the first track: "Stop This World" enters dramatically with Diana's serious jazz piano chops and sultry voice grabbing you and demanding your attention. "Almost Blue" is one of those classic, languishing piano lounge-type ballads that emphasizes the natural beauty of her voice. Other songs I'd recommend include "Narrow Daylight", (my personal favorite) "I'm Pullin Through", "Love Me Like A Man" and "Abandoned Masquerade".
One of the reasons I love this set and her music is because unlike quite a bit of jazz out there, it's accessible. Her songs are both beautiful and easy to listen to without pretentiousness or too much complication.
Overall, 4.5 our of 5 stars.
(Note: I am not a professional critic, musician or anything else but a fan of great music. And this, my friends, is great music.)

No comments:

Post a Comment